Menu

Streamlining My Home


About Me

Streamlining My Home

After we started having problems with the electrical outlets in my home, I decided that I had to do something to make things right. I began working hard to take care of things around my house, but it didn't seem to help until I called a professional electrician. They came in, helped me to identify problems quickly, and then worked hard to streamline things around my home. They replaced a lot of the electrical wiring, and then they let me know about a few appliance problems they spotted along the way. I wanted to start a new blog that focused on identifying electrical concerns, so here you are.

Categories

Archive

Latest Posts

4 Important Residential Electrical Installs Your Home Might Need
6 July 2022

If you're a new homeowner or have been in your hom

The Basics Of Electrical Surge Protection
17 November 2021

Your home's electrical system is vulnerable to all

Working With Professional Electricians To Prepare Your House For Future Tenants
2 November 2021

Every landlord faces the arduous task of repairing

What You Should Tell An Electrician About Before Hiring Them
21 July 2021

If you have electrical issues at home or want to m

Lighting Repair Services: Four Signs That Indicate You Need Lighting System Repairs
4 June 2021

In addition to providing illumination, lighting fi

Signs An Extension Cord Is Too Dangerous To Use

An extension cord can help you extend electricity where you don't have an outlet. However, the usefulness of the extension cord will not help you much if you use a dangerous cord that ends up burning your house down or giving you a nasty shock. Here are some signs that mean you are dealing with a dangerous extension cord:

The Cord Has Damaged Insulation

The insulation of the electrical extension cord, which is the outermost layer of the cord, is the primary protective material shielding you from the electricity the cord carries. This means a damaged insulation exposes you to various electrical risks, such as shock and electrical fire, and call for the replacement of the cord. Common signs of insulation damage include nicks, cuts, and cracks. They can be caused by different things including constant foot traffic on the cord, passing the cord in tight places or nailing the cord to the wall.

The Cord Is Constantly Overheating

Another sign that it may be time to replace your cord is if it feels too warm to the touch. This is especially true if the cord is exposed to the air; meaning is not covered up by anything such as a rug. In such a case, the only thing that is making the cord feel too warm to the touch is overheating due to an overloaded capacity. In simple terms, it means you are forcing the cord to draw too much electricity than it can carry, which is a clear risk for cord damage and electrical fire.

The Cord's Plug Is Loose

A loose cord is one that is not attached firmly to its plug. In some cases, there may even be noticeable space between the end of the cord and the plug, giving the plug some wiggle room. This is a dangerous extension cord to have because the wiggling can cause electrical sparks and the space between the two parts of the extension may lead to electrical shock. A common cause of this problem is the habit of yanking the extension out of the outlet using the cord rather than holding the plug.

The Cord Has Been Patched

Lastly, you should also get rid of any extension cord that has been patched up. Any cord that is wrapped in electrical tape, cut and joined or connected to other electrical wires to increase its length is dangerous for your use. The patches or DIY improvisations can easily fall apart without notice and become an electrical hazard.

Note that an extension cord should be a temporary measure for getting electricity to where it is needed. In the long-term, you should consult an electrician to help you extend the power in a more permanent way, for example, by installing an outlet. Contact a service, like Street Brothers Electric, for more help.